Using Mentor Texts in 5th Grade Writing

Recently I met with grade levels to analyze their Map data.  And Map data results can be dry  - and we often come away with an attitude -  “Ok - where do we go from here?”  And where we go from MAP data isn’t always a direct link back to the data, but rather a springboard to grade level concerns that many of us have batted around - both alone and together.

When I met with the fifth grade team, Tyler Haar shared a springboard.  He suggested that students need more volume in writing; in other words, students need to write more and more.  Maybe what he is sensing is that too many of his students don’t view themselves as writers.  If I dare get inside Tyler’s talented mind, I would venture to say that he wants to build and encourage writers.

And, after talking with Tyler and seeing his writing approach - absolutely - no doubt about it - someday many of Tyler’s students will be looking back and asking themselves, “When did I become a writer; I wonder.  Which teacher valued my perspective? Which teacher valued my voice?  Which teacher made me believe that my words could hold a reader’s attention?”  "I do remember my fifth grade teacher, Mr. Haar - I think he was the teacher that sparked the fire that set me on the path to believing that I could write."

Please take time to read two fifth grade student writing entries from Tyler’s recent work with his students on  “point of view”.   Tyler used a mentor text and had students use the structure of the text, but add their own words and thoughts to the text. Check out two student responses below.


Impressive indeed, right?  While reading Barefoot I was right there - on the path with the runaway slave.  This fifth grade writer captured the sights and sounds of the slave’s scary journey to freedom. The writer got my attention and I want to know more.

In the short excerpt Aunt Rachel this fifth grade author uses the relationship between the niece Sweet Clara and her Aunt Rachel to help us understand the plight of many slave women.  We see Clara’s daily life through Aunt Rachel’s perspective, and the author skillfully paints a picture of Clara’s way out of the hard field work.  We readers sense that Aunt Rachel is carrying forward the mother’s dream for Clara.  Tell me more please!

Tyler and the fifth grade team are building a ten minute journal writing time into their curriculum. Bravo for them. Easy? Hardly - they tell me that many of their students are struggling.  Lots of - I don’t know what to write about?  The fifth grade team are bringing their concerns and struggles about journal writing back to their meetings.  They will support and inform each other about what is working - what isn’t working.  They and their students will be rewarded for the important work on building writing time for students to write.

Let’s circle back to my opening thoughts.  I met with fifth grade teachers to discuss Map data results.  Yes, such predictable items as how did our students test on inferential thinking, drawing conclusions, etc.  And, we ended up with what has been a gnawing concern for some of the fifth  grade teachers - our students need to do more writing.  And, just looking at Barefoot and Aunt Rachel student entries leads us to ponder the idea that student writing will enhance student reading - for example, student writers who consider that Clare’s character can be revealed through the eyes of a caring aunt, and that readers see Clare’s character grow and change because of the love and oversight of Aunt Rachel, then that same student writer will bring that awareness into their ability to comprehend ever increasingly difficult reading passages.

Tyler and the fifth grade team - keep us posted on what is working for your students in terms of writing routines, writing prompts, writing feedback, writing engagement and so on.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slice of life

Student Growth

Valentines Day