Sam

We are all in this boat together – sink or swim.  Certainly, we are better off mentally when we swim.  When Mary first announced that we need to start planning for our hybrid model, I felt like I was sinking and occasionally coming up for air.

I’m going to try to nail down my mindset over the last few weeks.   I struggled with thoughts like “I’m not ready for hybrid”, “we’re not ready for hybrid”, “I wasn’t expecting this”, “I don’t know where to turn”, “I don’t know how to turn”.  Helpless and looking for help – all in the same breath.  I felt anxious and frustrated.  I looked for reasons to prolong the start date and convinced myself that my thinking was correct.

I continued being anxious and frustrated until a lightbulb went off for me.  I needed to be honest with myself about why I didn’t want to face this transition.  For me, I didn’t feel prepared.  So, I needed to address that problem in a healthy way.   I needed help.  I reached out to another principal that is usually well prepared for things – Sam Shuman.  Sam gave me support and feedback with planning.  I felt like she was sending me a life jacket – a concrete guide that helped me see how we could weed through the logistics.  She helped me see a path forward – the fog wasn’t nearly as foggy.

So what’s the message? We need to be honest about the root of our anxiety and frustrations and search out healthy ways to express them. Many people can help us find our way.  We need to ask.  We need to share our struggles.  Our colleagues and loved ones will take care of us.  They will.  I know that for certain.  It’s the asking and the admitting to ourselves and others that takes courage. 

Here’s a short video from Dave Stuart who is so good at so many ideas and platforms – and, he’s thinking what we are thinking.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slice of life

Student Growth

Valentines Day