Reading and Technology

A few thoughts this week on reading…

As I pass in and out and by classrooms, it is thrilling to see a few kids buried in their books – totally in a world an author has created – it’s also heartwarming to hear the sound of a teacher’s voice reading aloud a book – a passage – and reading with such expression in all the right spots. 

Reading aloud is one of the oldest most valued practice in literacy.  Why not start class with a read aloud, followed by 10 minutes to write in journals – or just the ten minutes of reading – such a practice is creating a predictable structure everyone benefits from.   And, putting the read aloud into your schedule and sticking to it will ensure it doesn’t get scrapped.  Read alouds of good books, good passages creates community – part of the memory of being in Mrs. Brown’s third grade class.  And, don’t be afraid to scrap the book or passage if you don’t like it – or the kids aren’t into it. 

I liked the words of Laura Varias  (ASCD journal):  “Don’t wreck the read aloud with too many instructional interruptions.  Keep it simple and fun…I used Post-it notes to death. Had my students write down every thought they ever had! Student were distracted by all the tasks. Now my goal is to me them immersed in the story so much that they beg for another page”.

If you already have a read aloud as part of your daily routine, invite me to listen along with your kids.  I would love it.

Around Irving -

  • When I was in grade school and even high school, I remember having to do book reports. I can still picture the book report forms some of my teachers used.  I actually think the forms turned me off to reading more books.  Michelle Fischer is using technology to encourage her students to read.  She has her students post videos to power school learning.  Check out the quick video posting below – it’s Gabriel sharing his reading about a book, Diary of a Minecraft Zombie. It’s obvious that he understands point of view, plot, character development, setting, and other aspects of his book.  And, it’s obvious that he likes the book.  Using a platform like Power School Learning gives Gabriel an audience – his classmates, his family, and his teacher can view his understanding of his book.  I would venture to speculate that Gabriel might translate some of the author’s techniques and style into a writing.
  • Check out the Twitter interaction between two of 5HS’s students and an author.  A real honest to goodness author who is responding to the students - I mean this is a win for everybody.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slice of life

Student Growth

Valentines Day