Structure for Writing Workshop

Over the course of this year, countless times I read this: to get better at writing, I must write – definitely a big overarching idea.

I get it – and every time I sit down to write I hear a little voice saying comments like: “You can do it. Just get started”; “You have something to say – so say it, and then clean it up”;   “you won’t get better at writing if you don’t put in the work”.

I am hopeful that over the years our students who participate in writing workshop won’t struggle with writing the way I do.  And, what does that mean for us?  We need to structure the writing experience in authentic, kid-friendly ways that will fire up kids to want to write.  We need to give them plenty of writing time.

The other big reoccurring idea: use mentor texts to show kids what accomplished authors do to produce a good piece of writing. 

Jennifer Jacobsen in No More “I’m Done!”  lays out a possible approach and values using what many of you do already – use the mini-lesson to teach writing features. She suggests:

  • Day 1 - read a picture book or an appropriate piece of writing – cover to cover- without stopping –Make sure it’s a joyful experience.  Use your voice to show the rhythm of the text, to thoughts and feeling of the character/s, the pacing of the book.  You may want to raise questions during this first reading – predictions – strategies that must be modeled before the text is revealed. 
  • The book you select on Day 1 is the book you can use as a mentor text on Day 2.  And, teachers can pull out a writing mini-lesson from the text.  

I see that deciding on the content of mini-lessons might easily be overwhelming.  Because I am such a novice on how to teach writing, I tend to want one solid book or one respected writing author and follow their suggestions until I get my sea legs – such an approach would help me plan a writing workshop approach. I guess what I’m saying is – I want some “meat on the bones” – I value contributions from the likes of Lucy Calkins, but she’s ahead of me.  We have had success with Jan Richardson’s reading model.  Maybe what we need is to find a Jan Richardson in the writing world.  I have read from some great sources on writing, but I don’t think I’ve come across the right author/source on the teaching of writing – a source that most of us would rally around.

The hunt is on – if you know a source, please share it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slice of life

Student Growth

Valentines Day