Advantageous

Over break, D100 leaders hosted a twitter chat asking people to identify one word that might serve to inspire our 2018.  Anyone participating is to post the word out there for the world to read and then start “making it” happen.

My first thought was to select a word that would help guide me to be successful in my new role as principal. “Productive” rose up immediately.   I googled productive and the online thesaurus brought up synonyms and I stumbled across the word “advantageous”.

My first reaction to the word was to reconsider because of the negative connation of specifically taking advantage of others.  I talked about the word with my wife (still getting used to that word - wife) and she eye rolled over my choice. and challenged my thinking.  I clicked on the word anyway to read the actual definition –” involving or creating favorable circumstances that increase the chances of success or effectiveness; beneficial”.  To heck with the negative connotation, I like the word, and the positive implications of “advantageous”.

I would like to help create an environment where our students have more favorable circumstances that increase their chances of being successful in school.  As Irving’s principal, I will seize every opportunity to make staff and students successful – in other words, I will take advantage of any possible support that moves us toward success.

I know that I must start with supporting the teachers.  Good teaching at Irving will provide our students with an advantageous learning experience.

I’m not sure I am a “one word” kind of guy – time will tell.  I can see the merits of reflecting on a mantra, so I will post “advantageous” in a few strategic places and periodically examine my progress on taking advantage of the big and little opportunities that arise.

In terms of writing, there are several blog posts about choosing one word.  You might consider asking your students to choose their “one word” and then write about their rationale for their choice. 

Check out this link from a teacher who did use “one word” idea with her class.

Marty

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slice of life

Student Growth

Valentines Day