Writing as a gift

I can feel the excitement in my building – the holidays are coming!  And, as I go in and out of classrooms I can see that many of you are capitalizing on using the holidays to encourage writing.  Heidi of create dream explore expresses her thoughts about Christmas writing this way: “All I want for Christmas are some new holiday writing!”

Lucy Calkins and her followers emphasize the importance of “writing for real” and “writing for an audience” and “writing to put meaning onto the page”;  this link describes a narrative writing assignment that has the potential of encompassing all of these components.

I often read the comment section following the posts like this one – it gives me food for thought. If you decide to work this idea into your writing workshop, please share your pictures, student letters or your insights; I’ll try to include them in one of my posts.


Marty




















Max and Jineen from 1G sharing their writing about spreading kindness throughout the school.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slice of life

Student Growth

Valentines Day