Waddles

Mrs. Toolan has this cute stuffed animal – Waddles that she is using to encourage writing for her second graders.   She gives a very clear explanation about the reading and writing expectations when the lucky student takes Waddles home for the weekend.

She gave me Waddles over this past weekend with the same expectations.  You can read about   “A Weekend with Waddles” by Mr. S. 

I want to thank Mrs. Toolan for drawing me into her class in this special way.  I’m brand spanking new here at Irving – two weeks old – and I want to connect with teachers and kids.  I want to know teachers and students and support all reading and writing efforts.  Mrs. Toolan’s Waddles cut through all of it – took me right into her classroom and took the students into my life as well – creating a special bond among all of us.

Lots of win- wins here – community building, communication via writing, authenticity, engagement, real life – all elements of structuring lessons that support the writing process. Thanks, Mrs. Toolan, and boys and girls in room 2T and Waddles.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slice of life

Student Growth

Valentines Day